Saturday 8 November 2008

Oud Mood

I have just arrived today from Egypt. I have been there for the past 2 weeks.
Time spent there was amazing. I happen to notice that as much as I go there.. and come back to wherever I live now - I love the country more and more.
Even though I can see all the negatives, I can't stop being sentimental. It grabs me. I find myself attracted to it's places, people, music, food, sounds, views, venues.. Most of all, I think I just left a part of myself there. More than anyone who left this country in search of a better life.
An old friend of mine, whom I met after years of abscence last week, told me once that there is something magical about the place. Even though you hate it, or hate whatever everyday in Egypt brings along.
My Egypt lives in the lyrics and sounds of Oum Kalthoums songs, Abdel Halim Hafez, Abdel Wahab, Farid Al Atrache and now I learnt to appreciate also Asmahan after listening to her for the 10th time :) - the sound of oud and tabla, the old black and white movies, the new ones done with dedication to matters that concern modern life in Egypt with all it's political, enocomical, religious and social problems.
I love the silence in the desert, the sound of the sea, the shadow of the million palms on hot summer days, the crowded Cairo and always late Egyptians..
I hope someday Egypt will love me back.

Something for my 'Oud Mood' :)
why?
tell you why.
Thanks to Waleed, yesterday night I became a happy holder of this magical instrument - The Oud.

Enjoy Said Chraibi, even though he's not Egyptian :P - yet a master piece.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well it was a pleasure meeting you while you were here :)
I know what you mean about Egypt's impact on someone. I'm supposed to be leaving the country next year but it's charm is drawing me in more and more by the day.